MAINTENANCE OF AIR BRAKE SYSTEM
HUBS AND DRUMS
Hub cap gasket
Hub oil seal
General mechanics tool kit
Ratchet, 3/4 inch drive
Bearing nut wrench, 3/4 inch drive, 2-5/8 inch
Torque wrench, 3/4 inch drive, 0-600 lb-ft.
Two pry bars
(1) Chock wheels.
(2) Drain air tanks.
Be sure there a catch pan under the wheel end to catch the old oil.
(6) Remove hub cap (2) and gasket (3).
(7) Remove outer spindle nut (4) using 2-5/8 inch bearing nut wrench and ratchet. Remove
spindle lock (5).
(8) Loosen inner spindle nut (6) using 2-5/8 inch bearing nut wrench and ratchet until nut is
flush with outside edge of hub (7).
(9) Using two pry bars, move hub-drum assembly (7 through 16) out against nut (6).
(10) Remove nut (6) and outer bearing cone (8).
(11) Remove hub-drum assembly (9 through 16) as a unit and place on clean work surface
with hub (7) upward.
(12) Using brass drift, drive out bearing cone (9) and seal (10).