MAINTENANCE OF AIR BRAKE SYSTEM - Continued
HUBS AND DRUMS - Continued
(3) Cover bearing with a light coat of SAE 90 Hypoid Gear oil. Install inner bearing cone (9) in
(4) To assure proper fit, place seal (10) on spindle up to first rubber rib. The correct seal will
(5) Place seal (10) on rear of hub (7) with the words "OIL SIDE" facing inward. Make sure
that seal is straight. Using a hammer and piece of flat hardwood, tap the seal into hub
until seal bottoms out.
(6) Cover bearing with a light coat of SAE 90 Hypoid Gear oil. Install outer bearing cup (12) in
(7) Install drum (15) on hub (7) with back nuts (13) if removed. Tighten nuts (13) to 100-125 lb-ft.
Be sure the seal does not hit the spindle while putting the hub on the wheel end.
The seal could become damaged if it strikes the spindle.
Be sure there is no brake drag between brake shoes and drum.
(8) Put a light coat of SAE 90 Hypoid Gear oil on the seal ring.
(9) Install the hub and drum on the spindle (17).
(10) Install inner spindle nut (6) on spindle (17) and tighten nut against bearing while turning
brake drum (15) by hand.
(11) Tighten spindle nut (6) to a minimum torque of 100 ft-lbs while turning hub.
(12) Loosen nut (6) to remove preload torque and hand tighten the nut. Do not rotate the hub.
(13) Back it off 1/4 to 3/8 turn.
(14) Install spindle lock (5) and bend one tab down on the inner spindle nut (6).
(15) Install outer spindle nut (4). Tighten nut to 225-250 Ft.-Lbs.
(16) Bend over two locking tangs on the spindle lock (5).
(17) Install hub cap (2) and new gasket (3).
(18) Rotate brake drum (15) to assure free movement without binding.